Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A slight detour to the spiritual side – the good, the bad, and the ghostly.

When I was young, I used to see spirit people in my bedroom. This started when I was still in my crib – I remember it clearly. There was a woman with a babushka who caught my attention in the window, and said “I just want you to know that everything’s going to be all right.” I closed the curtain on her, and then heard a knock at the window.   When I was a little older, I moved into a small L-shaped room, with two doors and two windows facing Lake Erie. I had to go to bed at 8:00 pm. I always wanted someone to stay up, so that I would fall asleep before they went to bed. After everyone was asleep, the “fun” would start. I would see spirits all night. It seemed there was some kind of spiritual highway going from the wall, right past my bed and through me, to the door.  (Now I know those highways are called ley lines.) I would always see a tall man that was not so nice, who wore a hat, and always tried to strangle me.

The fear would take my breath away anytime one of these events happened.  I hid under the covers for most of my childhood nighttime life. I had a short attention span in school; all I really wanted to do during the day was sleep. And at night stay up because I was afraid that they would attack me in my sleep.

Once I was old enough to talk, I would explain what happened to my mother, and she would say “You need to stop watching scary movies with your father.”  He loved Bela Lugosi and Vincent Price, and always wanted me to watch those movies with him, but I saw terrifying stuff every night and didn’t need to see the movies (or hear the creepy music as a soundtrack).  Years later a cousin stayed in my room and ended up sleeping on the couch, terrified because he felt he was being strangled.

Although my family was Catholic, for years my Mom and Dad took me to Lily Dale, NY in the summertime.  Lily Dale is very unusual – it’s a town of psychics where visitors can get a reading from a large community of mediums.  I would make fun of it though I secretly loved it. My mom always got a free reading at the healing stump, where a crowd would gather with psychics who would pick people out and tell them about their passed-over loved ones. My dad was not so much into it. You have to be open to that sort of stuff.

I always felt Lily Dale was my home even though I mocked it. I didn’t want anyone to know how comfortable I was there – for once I didn’t feel judged. Sometimes my mother would take me by myself because I think she felt the same comfort.  Once she got a reading from a medium who started speaking in Spanish while channeling a relative from Puerto Rico, even though the psychic wasn’t fluent. My mother was so moved, she cried.  We went every summer and my mom brought a lot of friends with her.  They were all afraid during the healing stump readings and would close their arms and legs so the psychics wouldn’t be able to read them.  I was always hoping to get a reading but never did until I was an adult.

When I was 13, I met a medium there from Canada who recommended that I say a prayer every day – years later I found out my mother liked the prayer enough to copy that prayer in her bible.  It’s called the Prayer of Protection, and when I started going to a Unity Church many years later, I found it is a major prayer in that faith.  I say it with my son every night that I am with him.

“The Light of God surrounds you,
The Love of God enfolds you,
The Power of God protects you,
The Presence of God watches over you.

Wherever you are, God is, and all is well.”

3 comments:

  1. I always wanted to go to Lily Dale. I went once with my ex husband when it was closed for the season. I felt like I was being told to leave..they didn't want us there.. I haven't been back. Yet!! I love the prayer!! Thank you for sharing so much. I hope you know it really means a lot to us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You just described my friend's son's sleeping habits to a T. He has never slept good at night. Ever! Always tired during the day. They had test after test done as a small child with no conclusive results. Although he has never verbalized why he can't sleep, we all know he sees and feels things. It's not as drastic now as when he was younger, but he always sleeps in a ball buried under the covers. My friend has never known how to help him. So my question to you is, what would you have liked someone to do for you when you were going through this? What would've made it better? What would have provided some rest for your tired body?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked the light on or sleep with someone.I which I knew how to meditate.I hope this is helpful.I also had no study halls to sleep in.

      Delete